Dental Implant Surgery: After-Care Tips for Speedy Recovery | Dr. Orest Frangopol, DDS
With tooth loss or missing teeth being as common as they are, the use of dental implants has become a common solution among Americans. The increased popularity of dental implants as a ‘smile-regain’ option is majorly attributed to its higher success rate, which is 98% according to American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID).
Reasons for the higher success rate in dental implant surgeries are:
- Advances in dental implant technology (like the Biocompatible materials)
- Affordability and quality (strong titanium used to replicate the look, feel, and function of the natural teeth)
- An increased patient awareness (that helps in receiving care on time and speedy recovery)
Dental implant specialists also consider a speedy recovery as another major reason why patients are using dental implants for their tooth condition solution. “Apart from the right and regular medication, it’s the patient’s awareness and attitude in the post-surgery phase that makes it possible for the surgical wound to heal sooner”, says Dr. Orest Frangopol, DDS, and a dental implants specialist in Orange County.
Here are some dental implants after-care tips by Dr. Frangopol for a speedy recovery of your dental implant surgery:
Dental Implants After-Care Tips to Expedite Recovery
- The First Two Days: The first 48-hours during the post-surgery phase are crucial, as precautions during these hours will put your implants on a speedy recovery track. Here’s what you should do:
- Avoid driving back home if anesthesia hasn’t completely worn off
- Do not rinse vigorously or probe the surgical area with an object or with your tongue to ensure that implant site isn’t irritated
- Drink plenty of cold liquids (iced teas, carbonated beverages, fruit juice, lemonade, water) for the next 4-6 hours of the surgery as it will help reduce the discomfort and allow proper clotting
- If there is minimal bleeding, use salt water rinses, but only 24 hours after the surgery
- Take complete bed rest on the first day of the surgery as bending, lifting, or strenuous activity will cause increased bleeding
- Diet: The dietary tips are simple – start with soft, mushy, and easy-to-chew food items. Gradually progress with more solid food items. Keep it nutrient rich and do not skip meals, as it will help you feel better, gain strength, and heal quicker. Read below:
- In the beginning, eat mushy food items such as soups, yogurt, puddings, scrambled eggs, and milkshakes, etc.
- Move gradually to a soft diet for the rest of the week (cooked vegetables, chicken, fish macaroni, etc.)
- Avoid food like rice, nuts, sunflower seeds, popcorn, etc., that may get lodged in the surgical area
- Swelling: Swelling is natural after the surgery. To keep it minimum:
- Apply ice packs to your cheek adjacent to the surgical area at regular intervals
- Sleep with two pillows as keeping your head elevated will help minimize swelling
- Take medicine as prescribed by your physician
- Pain: The most severe pain occurs usually during the first six hours after the anesthetic wears off. Your prescription for pain medication should help you through this, however, keep in mind:
- If you feel nauseated after taking pain pills, precede it with a small amount of food to feel better
- You can supplement each pain pill with an analgesic such as, ibuprofen or aspirin if it isn’t providing adequate relief
- If pain is still there, call your dentist’s office
- Hygiene: Keeping good hygiene will provide a better condition for your surgical wounds to heal sooner. Here’s what you can do:
- Start brushing your teeth 24 hours after the surgery, but avoid flossing
- Rinse your teeth with a half-ounce of Peridex twice daily
- If you wear dentures, leave them out as much as you can for at least 3 weeks after the surgery
- If your dentures are hitting the implants, call your dentist’s office
That’s all! If you have questions on this, or want to learn more about the dental implant surgery and its after-care, feel free to call us at (949)-701-3031.
Related Blog: 5 Major Advantages of Dental Implants
Dr. Orest Frangopol is the Owner of OC Dental Implants, a leading dental office in the Orange County area. Dr. Frangopol is an expert in providing comprehensive implant services that include: single tooth dental implant, bone grafting, dental implants and full mouth reconstruction. He along with his team has a reputation of offering affordable dental implants combined with customized treatment for all his patients.