8 Incredible Facts About Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a chronic health problem that affects your breath while sleeping. This is a progressive condition which means it’ll worsen with time if you are not taking protective measures against it. This issue is greatly misunderstood by the medical community as well although research is still going on. Usually individuals are unaware that they suffer from sleep apnea. Sometimes it takes your bed partner, family members or close friends to bring this problem to your attention.
Sleep apnea is a serious health issue that can be really dangerous if left undiagnosed and untreated. There are three different types of sleep apnea- obstructive, central and mixed. Out of all three, obstructive sleep apnea is the most widespread. Both men and women are prone to sleep apnea but middle-aged men who are overweight are more likely to suffer from this health problem.
Share this Image On Your Site
Please include attribution to ocdentalimplants4u.com with this graphic.
Here are some facts and figures that will give you an overview of sleep apnea:
- 42 million American adults suffer from sleep-disorder breathing.
- If you are suffering from sleep apnea, you’ll feel sleepy most of the time and will be unable to concentrate. As a result, this increases the risk for you being a victim of car accident. According to the recent statistics, people who are driving when sleepy are responsible for 100,000 car accidents, 40,000 injuries, and 1,550 deaths annually.
- 50% of those people who suffer from sleep apnea also suffer from hypertension.
- If you feel that you are suffering from sleep apnea, consult a sleep specialist as soon as possible. It is really dangerous if left untreated, chances of stroke increases to 4 times compared to those who don’t have sleep apnea and it increases the chance of heart diseases to 3 times more than those who don’t have sleep apnea.
- Men and specially middle-aged men are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea than women or children.
- A person suffering from sleep apnea may experience 60 apnea per hour. This sums up to an average of 400 apnea per night!
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is the most popular and noninvasive form of treatment available for moderate to severe sleep apnea.
- Two to four percent of all Americans have an undiagnosed case of sleep apnea. This accounts for approximately 1 in 50 individuals being undiagnosed.
After looking at these facts and figures, it’s clear that sleep apnea is not a problem to be taken lightly. The risk of mortality faced by those people with untreated sleep apnea is not at all worth it specially when you have all types of treatments available for this disorder. Contact us now for further information on sleep apnea treatment or sleep apnea devices.